DAAD Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
German Academic Exchange Service
„In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme Ethiopia”
Call for Scholarship Applications for 2018
at Mekelle University in Ethiopia
Funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Application Closing Date: 28 February 2018
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, selfgoverning organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates from Sub-Sahara Africa with a first academic degree who want to pursue Master’s courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Eastern Africa country (so called In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Mekelle University by offering up to 10 In-Country/In-Region scholarships for Master studies for the intake 2018.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of Sub-Sahara Africa
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted. All further information will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at Mekelle University are available in the following fields:
Place of tenure
Mekelle University, Ethiopia
Duration and Commencement
• of the Master programme is generally two years
generally starting in September 2018
Applicaion and Selection Procedure
The application process contains two steps.
Applicants must apply for their studies at Mekelle University using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. Mekelle University has set its own deadlines.
Mekelle University will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain double or triple the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
1. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered): https://portal.daad.de, Deadline: 22 March 2018
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/ “Application“
Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the european specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers
- Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
Closing date for the submission of DAAD scholarship applications is 22 March 2018
The scholarship covers:
Amount in €
the regularly charged amount
Study and research allowance
1025,00 once within the last six months of the scholarship
(Accomodation, Food etc.)
Master In-Country: 180,00 Master In-Region: 200,00
Travel allowance (In-Region only)
The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award
The scholarship will either be disbursed by the host institution, the German Embassy or will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research grant in Germany for 2 up to 6 months, if the necessary financial means are available. Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application for the regular scholarship.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
• a monthly scholarship payment for living costs which amounts to 1.000 € per month
• health/accident/personal liability insurance
• a flat-rate travel allowance
All further details regarding additional benefits and the additional application processes will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
Contact and advice
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst / German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Section Scholarship Programmes Africa – ST32
D – 53175 Bonn / Germany
Mr. Michael Weihberg